Ask for availability of hotels, we will send the request to our members
Ask for availability of B&B, we will send the request to our members
Ask for availability of apartments to rent, we will send the request to our members
Ask for availability of campings, we will send the request to our members
PassanoToday’s hamlet of Passano, located at 298 meters above sea level, was an important feudal center of the territory in the medieval period, which dominated a vast area in the Ligurian Levant with the homonymous marquis family. In fact, the Marquises Da Passano became feudal lords of today’s inhabited areas of Deiva, Moneglia, Framura and some areas of Bracco, Cinque Terre and the island of Tino in the Middle Ages. In the village of Passano there was the homonymous feudal castle of the family, destroyed by the troops of the Republic of Genoa in 1174 after an eight-day siege.
Mèzzema The ancient village of Mèzzema, today a municipal district of Deiva Marina, is mentioned for the first time in an imperial diploma of Carlo Magno dated 5 June 774; also in the same year the territory of Deiva is named, and therefore also Mezzema, concerning the sale of some land to a colony of Benedictine monks at the behest of the abbot of San Marzano di Tortona.
The local parish church, dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, is also mentioned in the diploma of Charlemagne of 774, but according to some historical researches its foundation could be much older, around the seventh or eighth century.
Inside the church there is a statue of San Michele Arcangelo by the sculptor Anton Maria Maragliano.
Piazza In the hamlet of Piazza there is the parish church of Sant’Anna built in the eighteenth century. In the village of Miniera, an ancient copper mining mines, mentioned since 1610, has been active in the past centuries. In the locality of Piani della Madonna there is the shrine of Nostra Signora Assunta built on the remains of an existing building at the behest of the feudatories Ita and Oberto Da Passano.
he territory of Deiva Marina is located in the valley of the Deiva and Castagnola torrents, near the mouth, on the Riviera di Levante; we are a renowned and popular seaside resort.
he town is divided into two main parts: the inward old town, which develops around the square in front of the church of Sant’Antonio abbot and the Marina, a more recent area overlooking the sea. In addition to the town, the municipality consists of the hamlets of Piazza, Mèzzema and Passano.
ur borders are to north with the municipality of Castiglione Chiavarese, to the south with Framura, to the west with Moneglia and to the east with Carro and Carrodano.
fter the fall of the Napoleonic Empire, in 1816 Liguria, associated with the Kingdom of Sardinia as the Duchy of Genoa, is divided into 3 provinces: Genova (main), Savona and the Provincia di Levante, divided into two centers: Chiavari and La Spezia, Deiva will also become part of the latter. In 1833 Deiva will come to count 733 inhabitants, while Piazza and Passano will reach respectively 220 and 358 units.
ith the proclamation of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861, Liguria is then divided into 2 provinces, in the Genoese region La Spezia is added and therefore our Municipality, always La Spezia since 1923 will become a province in its turn. A special decree of November 12th 1899, will sanction the grant by King Umberto I to the Municipality of Deiva Marina of the civic coat of arms, which is still an official symbol of the institution.
e are surrounded by reliefs, the highest is the Monte San Nicolao (m 847 s.l.m.) which is easily recognizable because it is surmounted by antennas and television repeaters. In the locality of Baracchino, a path climbs to the top of Mount Pietra di Vasca (801 meters) from which the panoramic view extends from the coastal strip between Sestri Levante and La Spezia to the Apuan Alps and, towards the inlands, up to Gottero. These reliefs allow trekking lovers to take walks along paths, alternating overhangs overlooking the sea and sections immersed in chestnut woods, particularly evocative in autumn.
n the heights of Deiva Marina there is the Passo del Bracco, alt. 610 meters above sea level, a road renowned for its scenic beauty and for the beautiful curves that seem to have been designed especially for two-wheeled vehicles.
We recommend that you respect speed limits!
n October 28th 1874, the first Genoa-La Spezia sea railway line was inaugurated with a train and station stop also in Deiva, the “Marina” area, previously made up mainly of warehouses, underwent an increase and new buildings arise around the airport. In 1932 the line, exposed to frequent storms that damage it, as in 1916 when a goods is overwhelmed by the waves and ends up at sea, is moved to its current location.
ince the post-war period, Deiva is experiencing considerable economic progress linked to tourism with the establishment of second homes and accommodation facilities, the tourist vocation is noted in 1948 by the City Council, which decides the addition of “Marina” to the name Deiva. A decree dated 26/11/1949, signed by the then President of the Republic, L. Einaudi, will change the name of the Municipality into today’s. From 27 February 1972 Deiva Marina will also be equipped with a toll booth, located on the A12 Genoa-Livorno.