Red Path – Art
The route crosses the Municipalities of Deiva Marina, Framura, Bonassola and Levanto.aThe route described starts from Via Matteotti, which overlooks Corso Italia’s straight road, from its beginning and up to the slight slope, dry walls emerge on both sides. which emerge profiles of eighteenth-century villas with gardens and houses decorated with Genoese, characterized by ocher and rose typically Ligurian, after a few minutes walk, at the apex you arrive in Piazza Colombo, a crossroads of typical Ligurian carruggi to be discovered, in succession narrow alleys, small doors and windows, arches, steps and terraces with climbing and hanging flowers. One of these, Via Amendola, is bordered by an arch made of local black stone carved in a circular sense, known to the inhabitants as “Arcu du Beghettu”, (3) with inlaid a Maltese Cross or Cross of San Giovanni, in its key central. There is no documentary source, but among the various hypotheses, the most likely appear to be those of a residual testimony of the presence of a welfare structure, used during the epidemics of the past or that of a sort of gateway to the fortified village , still surrounded by thick walls, to be blocked in case of attack. The stage continues on Via Gramsci, a long and cobbled street in black stone pebbles and sandstone heels, which leads to the part of the historic center where the parish church is located. The church, (4/5) appears almost immediately in the background, hidden between the tower-houses, in its majestic baroque forms and the beautiful churchyard from 1766, with a precise bill made with a strong Ligurian tradition, obtained with a mosaic technique of pebbles colored, arranged to form seafaring and floral subjects. The church building, named after Saint Anthony the Abbot, was rebuilt in its current location from the distant July 6, 1730, due to the devastating flood of flood of November 2, 1729, which completely destroyed the primitive church. The sumptuousness of its interior in the facing marble and furnishings, is the result of the tithes donated at the time by sailors embarked on the ships owned by shipowners and captains deivesi. There are some small treasures: an altarpiece of 1768, the imposing and famous organ of the Pisan school of Organai Agate in 1864 and the pulpit in 1750, in inlaid polychrome marble, very similar to that found in the cathedral of Siro in Genoa. On the outside, the facing, massive and compact, late-medieval tower (5) is made of ocher yellow stone and solid bricks, used to crown the finish and the overhanging arches of the cornice and the internal vaults. It is spread over a height of about 12 meters, with three overlapping rooms of 25 square meters. each, in a square plan crowned with merlons jutting out with small loopholes, called “archers”, and walled fire mouths. The turreted artefact, alongside the oratory with cloister of S. Giovanni Battista probably dating back to the seventeenth century. The tower served as a control and refuge for the population, at the time not very numerous, by landings made by pirates, cited in documents kept at the Genoa Archive, showing in particular the episode of 3 April 1564 when seven Turkish vessels, after the assault on Moneglia, they attempted to undermine Deiva without obtaining great results because the population found a way out and shelter. After this incident, the representative of the local community, that Pasqualino Testa, reported with a letter to the Genoese Republic the providential defense opportunity from the pirates offered on that occasion by the Tower, placed in what he defines the “Villa”, advocating the need to build another one also towards the sea to the “Marina”, an area previously defenseless of defenses. Opposite the entrance of the Tower, Via Garibaldi leads to the constellation called the “Rovereto” (6) where stands the oldest and most characteristic of Deiva, dating back to the XV-XVI century, when Deiva was not yet a single political and administrative community and it belonged to the Podesteria of Moneglia; according to the annelist Giustiniani was composed of only 20 fires (families) not exceeding 100 units, in fact, each fire corresponded 5 people. In the cartography of Vinzoni of 1751, the village of Deiva is more backward than the current coastline, the river appears with a catchment basin and estuary markedly larger than today. The first mention of the existence of a port, in all likelihood a simple river port intended for small local cabotage, is attested in the twelfth century with the delivery in “portu de Deva de petre vermiglie de Paxano” The manuscript planimetric map “Type geometrical of the place of the Deiva and of the controversial sites between the said Community and that of Framura “, still conserved at the State Archives of Genoa, also gives us precise indications about the territorial exploitation, representing the valley near the coast, the aforementioned district of the “Rovereto” with the houses around the church, already in its current location, some warehouses and the circular tower, located close to the beach.A view of Eugenio Ciceri, from the late nineteenth century, is still a village of Deiva perched at slopes of the mountain and a river with a mouth that has widened considerably towards the sea, taking again the path, still in Via Garibaldi, but of the ascent and minuscule Piazza Gramsci, turn right through a short vault below a house, starting to descend a slight slope into Via Cavour and then to Via Romita, flanked by thick walls that recreate the curious labyrinth effect already perceived at the beginning of the itinerary. At the end, on the right towards Corso Italia and the nearby circular Piazza XXV Aprile, (7) defined by the inhabitants as “Dal Pozzo”, a widening on which stands a bronze monument dedicated to the fallen of all the Wars, with sandstone flooring realized with spiral technique and inlaid with the verses of Montale of the poem “Cigola the pulley in the well”, referred to the well mentioned, now protected by a transparent crystal plate. Continuing from the square, following the tree-lined avenue in the direction of Lungomare, past the town hall and then the railway underpass you get to the Circular Tower (8) towards the beach, located in Via Doria in the “marina” district. This tower, built between 1564 and 1588, of which only part of the walls are now visible, is 15 meters high and preserves part of the original battlements, spared by the furious wave flood of more than two centuries ago, which caused the partial collapse. Built at the time of the Republic of Genoa, as we have already learned, in order to provide the territory with defensive systems, in this case of sighting, able to signal and protect the population from the landings of pirate pirates and barbarians, who also infested the coast Ligurian, in a complex sighting and signaling system, in visible triangulation with other similar towers located along the coast, located in places where you enjoyed a good and wide view of the sea. Reporting that in support of patrolling operated by public and private Genoese galleys, was placed by local communities and carried out by guardians who responded to their work to them and to the Podestà. The signs, if during the day, were made with smoke, in case of danger during the night instead fires were lit at its top, of revival to those received from other coastal locations, to these systems of alert, the bells of the he asked that they sounded like a hammer to incite citizens to take shelter and prepare themselves for defense. Here ends our walk to discover the center and the historical interests of Deiva Marina, in a total time of about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
eiva Marina is one of the best equipped villages of the wild coast of La Spezia. The hotels and the bathing establishments, which offer hospitality and life by night, are the background of the beautiful sandy beach.
For those who prefer outdoor holidays in Deiva there are villages and campsites. Here the holiday rhymes especially with the sea, clear and ideal for those who want a tan in relaxation and a swim without problems.
Offshore pristine and populous backdrops satisfy divers with interesting dives. Deiva offers many corners with cliffs and beaches almost “wild”, considered ideal for those who love fishing from the shore and wants to do two “launches” in fluency.
The ancient village is characterized by the narrow alleys and the pastel colored houses typical of Ligurian architecture. The church of Sant’Antonio Abate is the heart of the historic center and the natural architectural contraltare of the quadrangular tower in front of it, element of the defensive system of the territory. Among the villages that dot the hills is Passano with the castle that dominates the Valdeiva. You can take pleasant walks through the paths of an inland. For those who choose the summer, every evening in July and August, Deiva offers an appointment and an opportunity to make new meetings. In restaurants, fish reigns supreme with some goodies like fish ravioli and Ligurian fish.
ENTRANCE VIA MATTEOTTI
ARCO NAMED “DEL BEGHETTO”
SAGRATO CHURCH OF S. ANTONIO ABATE
CHURCH OF S. ANTONIO ABATE WITH INSIDES
SQUARE TOWER WITH ICONS EXHIBITION
ANCIENT DISTRICT OF THE “ROVERETO” AND BELT WALLS
XXV APRIL SQUARE AND RESTS OF THE WELL
CIRCULAR TOWER OF THE “MARINA” DISTRICT
COURSE: On foot
OVERALL DURATION: 1h 30 minutes